You are invited to join us for the
3rd Annual Vermont First Localvore Challenge
Wednesday, March 29, 2017
11:30am to 2:00pm
St. Michael’s College – Green Mountain Dining Room in Alliot Hall
In celebration of Sodexo’s ongoing commitment to Vermont First local food sourcing, nine Vermont Colleges will compete in a Localvore Cooking Challenge hosted by Saint Michael’s College Dining on Wednesday March 29, 2017.
This friendly competition challenges professional and up and coming Sodexo chefs to design menus around foods and products that are native to Vermont. Each campus culinary team will prepare and serve their local dishes to the students during the special lunch at Saint Michael’s College. Students get to vote on their favorite dish. The culinary teams will also be judged on presentation, creativity, technical execution, and guest interaction by guest judges from the Vermont food community.
Our competing colleges include:
- Castleton University – Castleton, VT
- Champlain College – Burlington, VT
- Johnson State College – Johnson, VT
- Lyndon State College – Lyndonville, VT
- Norwich University – Northfield, VT
- St. Michael’s College – Colchester, VT
- Southern Vermont College – Bennington, VT
- University of Vermont – Burlington, VT
2016 Winning Dish by St. Michael’s College – excited to see what kind of dishes our creative chefs come up with this year!
2016 Winners: St. Michael’s College Dining Team
For additional information please contact: Brian.Roper@sodexo.com
In celebration of Vermont First’s initiative to increase local food sourcing, eight Vermont colleges competed in the Localvore Cooking Challenge yesterday hosted by St. Michael’s College. Click here to see the live story from WCAX News.
This friendly competition challenges professional and up-and-coming Sodexo chefs to create dishes around foods and products that are native to Vermont. The goal of the Localvore Cooking Challenge is to highlight fresh, local ingredients and promote local farmers and vendors. It provides students with an opportunity to learn about the benefits of local products while enjoying delicious food.
Each campus culinary team prepared and served their local dishes to students during the special lunch at Saint Michael’s College. Students then voted on their favorite dish. The culinary teams were also judged on presentation, creativity, technical execution, and guest interaction by guest judges from the Vermont food community.
A HUGE shout-out to all the stellar culinary teams from each participating campus.
- Castleton University – Smoked Chicken & CHeese Sliders with caramelized Whistle Pig onions and cheddar ale sauce, apple beet hash, and apple pave
- Champlain College – Native Pulled Pork Slider with Queen City Brewery Smokey Rauchbier Beer and rainbow carrot and cabbage slaw
- Johnson State College – Chickpea Crepe, Risotto Balls, Mud Pie Mini Cupcake
- Lyndon State College – Maple Chipotle BBQ Beef Slider, Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese, BBQ Tempeh Slider
- Norwich University – Vermont Maple Carrot Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Saint Michael’s College – Maple Bourbon Ice Cream with crispy apples, candied fennel stems, cranberry confit, butternut squash coulis and streusel.
- University of Vermont – Vermont Elk Sausage and Ricotta Cavatelli Saute
- Vermont Tech – Carne Desmechada Arepa with NE Raised Beef Brisket and Queso Fresco from Champlain Creamery and Caramelized Apple Arepa with apples from Champlain Orchards and Maple Syrup made at Vermont Tech.
Can you say yum?
Congratulations to the St. Michael’s College team for their first place win this year!